Tuesday, January 17, 2012

24 blocks in

Many, many years ago I told my husband I was going to make a quilt for our bed. I was 19 years old with 2 babys 15 months apart. I had never sewn outside of my home-ec class in high school. But I sure was set that I was going to make a simple nine-patch.


These are the fabrics I bought. I think I may have gotten a few blocks done and then never picked it up again. Those blocks I did were cut with scissors and measured horribly. My husband has reminded me of this would-have-been-quilt many times over the years.

So when I began sewing/quilting late last year I decided we would have a quilt for our bed. I again set my sets high and he of course set his low. This is why I am so determined to finish my Manic Meadow quilt. I will show my hubby that I can finish a quilt for our bed. Even if it is 10 years later.

This is what I thought about as I worked on that quilt this morning. I had an hour and a half before starting to wind down for bed. I completed 7 6" blocks.


That makes a total of 24 blocks.


I measured the quilt we have on our bed now (store bought) and decided I will make our quilt roughly the same size. Which will be 8x9 11.5" blocks. 92"x103.5"  Which means I need 288 6" blocks. 264 blocks left to go.  Ugh! I hate that countdown. I feel like I'm getting nowhere. But as I said yesterday I am stubborn/determined. I am setting a goal for myself that I will finish this quilt by our anniversary, which is February 17th. I will make at least one block everytime I sit down at my machine. Wow, seeing that in print scares me too.

Loving all the Project Quilting quilts this week! My 'potholder' hasn't left my sewing machines side. And I don't know that it ever will.

It's the perfect size to fit all of my sewing tools. And it gives me incentive to keep them all in one place, and the fact that it makes me grin everytime I grab a tool makes it even better.

I finished Olivia's second sock yesterday. I have officially knitted a pair of socks! I didn't get a picture because it was bedtime. (She informed me that she was not going to bed until she had both socks in her possession) And then she wore them to school this morning and it was too busy to snap a quick pic. Hopefully I will get one when she gets home today. I am currently searching for a pair to make for myself.

Working 4 nights this week. The new Project Quilting project comes out Sunday. I figure Saturday I'll hang with the kids and rest up. And then Sunday I'll do my shopping and pick up any supplies I need for project #2.  Ahh the sweet life :)

Laura

2 comments:

  1. those blocks are going to make a great quilt!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. thanks for your comment on my blog ;-)
    Good luck with finishing by Feb 17th - I will keep a look out for it ;-)

    ReplyDelete